a humble garden blog... Above photo not enhanced in any way... All photos and text property of glimpsesofglory-karen... please ask permission to use

Friday, September 2, 2011

September Birth

September is a wonderful month, the weather has regulated, the weeds have slowed, and sitting outside is so enjoyable. The garden is happy.

Not only  is September the birth month of my mother's favorite child (lol),
but the birth month of two of my sisters.

So this month, I celebrate life. 
The Lord has been so gracious to me. He has protected me and shown me more love than I deserve.

 And I am so appreciative.

Some of the ways I will celebrate will be:

*planting more Allium bulbs,

*harvesting flowers for the house... and of course

 *BAKING!!
                                               Cheesecake with fresh strawberry sauce!

This recipe has a wonderful story. It comes from my Mother-In- Law, Emily, who is a wonderful cook.
She has had a lot of practice with a husband and 8 children.

And this is the story.
With a family of this size, my  in-laws rarely got invited out to dinner.
So Emily cooked most every meal.
10 people eating three times a day.
Uuugghh..I can't even imagine.

One year for their anniversary, my father-in law brought my mother-in law to a well known restaurant in Manhattan  for dinner.
After dinner, they ordered the cheesecake which they fell in love with.

My mother-in law asked the waiter if there was any way the chef would share the recipe because she would probably never get to come to this restaurant again.
When the chef heard that a woman with 8 children who rarely went out to dinner was requesting his recipe, he not only shared the recipe, but came out of the kitchen to meet her and congratulate my in-laws on their anniversary.

My mother-in law has made this cheesecake for approximately 45 years.
She has baked it for birthdays,weddings and most holidays.
This secret recipe has been passed onto my generation after many requests.
I am still trying to perfect it, but I'm getting close.












5 comments:

  1. Great looking garden photo...love the shed...the cake looks amazing and what an awesome story...such a blessing to the family.

    Blessings Kelsie

    PS: Happy Bday month

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for the recipe?
    LOL
    But I'll take a slice instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...I don't have the recipe (of course I would probably screw it up or not have the patience it would take to make it).

    Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to tell you I really enjoy garden photos but when I scrolled down to that cheesecake my jaw about fell on the floor! And what a sweet story. Now that is THE way to celebrate! Happy birthday to you and your sisters. God has been good to us, hasn't He?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your garden looks just lovely and that cheesecake...yum!
    xo
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts